What is the Ghosts and Folklore of Wales podcast?
Join Mark Rees (author of Ghosts of Wales/ Paranormal Wales etc.) for a journey through the weird and wonderful history of Wales on the Ghosts & Folklore of Wales podcast.
Mark has published several books and written countless articles about his homeland’s paranormal past, and each episode offers his unique insight and research into a different curious subject.
These range from long-lost real-life ghost stories such as the discovery of a “smelly” ghost in a truly historic pub which overlooks a buried city, to the fantastical myths and legends of dragons fighting tooth and claw in the dark night sky in the medieval prose tales of the Mabinogion.
How to listen and subscribe to the Ghosts and Folklore of Wales podcast:
You can listen using the player on this page, or you can tune in and subscribe on your favourite player by following the links below:
Where to find the Ghosts and Folklore Wales podcast online:
Ghosts and Folklore of Wales podcast episode list:
Looking for a certain episode, or for more details on a topic discussed?
Each episode has its own page where you can read more and listen to the podcast by following the links:
• EP55 The Phantom from Pennsylvania: Why does the spirit of a well-dressed woman from Philadelphia haunt a man in the Swansea Valley?
• EP54 The Magic of Water: Wash with vampires, fight evil spirits, turn water into wine and even protect your coffee from witches
• EP53 The Haunted Cemetery and the White Mist: Paranormal activity is reported in Victorian Wrexham – but is it really supernatural?
• EP52 Beware the Fairy Lights!: Discover the secrets of the Ellylldan, the dangerous Welsh elf-fire which haunt the forests much like Will-o’-wisp
• EP51 The Golden Ghost: When an ancient burial site is disturbed, eerie secrets are revealed. Let’s go ghost hunting in search of a centuries-old spirit…
• EP50 Party with the Fairy Folk: Warning- the fairies of Wales (y tylwyth teg) have been known to prank those who disturb their revelries!
• EP49 For Whom the Bell Tolls: How an eerie old Gothic funeral tradition can keep away evil spirits, the plague, trolls, fairies, and the Devil himself
• EP48 Soul Lights, Astral Bodies and Strange Omens: Can the soul really leave the body and return at will? And is there a link between this travelling lights and the dreaded corpse candle?
• EP47 The Welsh Elf Ladies and the Stray Fairy Cow: Magical farm animals emerge from a dark and ominous lake in this cautionary folk tale
• EP46 Ghost of the Hanged Lady: The tragic tale of a spirit with a message for a heart-broken traveller. It’s time to go on a paranormal investigation…
• EP45 Folklore of the Sea: Spooky spirit candles, soul-stealing Devils, clairvoyant cats and Davy Jones’ Locker – explore the weird and wonderful Welsh coast on the Ghosts and Folklore of Wales podcast
• EP44 A Cardiff Ghost Story; or, The Haunted Mansion: A lady in grey is one of the many paranormal guests haunting a Victorian house. Let’s go ghost hunting on the Ghosts and Folklore of Wales podcast!
• EP43 Nasty Little Elves: The secret origin of the ellyllon, Wales’ mischievous fairy folk, and a folk tale from Cardiff. These are not your Lord of the Rings elves!
• EP42 The Ghost Ship Mystery: Invisible boats dock at the harbour, while phantom funerals are seen in the graveyard at night. What does it all mean?
• EP41 Devil Goats: A cautionary folk horror fairy tale, in which a Welsh farmer finds out the hard way not to mess with a goat
• EP40 The Haunted Highway: A phantom coach and ice-cold apparitions have been haunting a lonely Welsh road for centuries
• EP39 The Magic Power of Leeks: Fight evil spirits with Wales’ national vegetable and explore the darker side of St David’s Day history and traditions
• EP38 Vampires of the Valley and Other Strange Creatures: Witches, dog demons, the Devil and a real-life “Dracula” are lurking in the shadows
• EP37 Pesky Poltergeists in Wild Wales: Evil spirits from the “invisible world” attack unsuspecting victims in Wales’ oldest “real-life” ghost stories
• EP36 Ghosts, Devils and Death Omens; or, A Wild Night by the Romantic Lakes: A haunting (and unromantic!) real-life ghost story for Valentine’s Day
• EP35 The Dark Fairy Tale of Rhys and Llewellyn: Have you heard fairy music playing in the woods at night? What would happen if you followed it?
• EP34 Witchcraft by the Sea; or, A Tragic Prophesy: An eerie “real life” ghost story of death omens, clairvoyance, and a witch’s dire prophesy
• EP33 St Dwynwen, the Welsh patron saint of lovers: The dark history of Wales’ patron saint of lovers and Ynys Llanddwyn, her “Island of Love”
• EP32 The Murdered Knight: A chilling real-life “Ghosts of Wales” tale in which the spectre of a slain warrior returns to a secluded Welsh farm house
December 2020 Christmas Specials:
• EP31 New Year’s Eve and Day Folklore of Wales: From the Mari Lwyd to Calennig, it’s out with the old and in with the new
• EP30 Curious Christmas Folklore of Wales: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day traditions and customs, from Plygain services to Sion Corn
• EP29 The Magical Christmas Tree… and a few ghosts!: The curious tale of a tree that burst into life in a west Wales garden every Christmas Eve
• EP28 A Ghost Story for Christmas Eve; or, Festive Spirits at the Inn: A real-life tale of paranormal activity at a Welsh town’s “most haunted” pub
• EP27 The Mari Lwyd, the Welsh Christmas “Ghost Horse”: The secret history and folklore of the “bone horse” of Wales
• EP26 Ghost Hunting in Wales’ “Most Haunted” Places: Paranormal investigators Cymru Paranormal join Mark on the show
• EP25 The Secret Islands of the Faeries: How the fairies of Wales are connected to King Arthur, and why they are called y Tylwyth Teg
• EP24 The Cursed Room at Wales’ National Stadium: How a jinx caused rugby and football teams to lose games at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium
• EP23 Guy Fawkes Night: The folklore, traditions, history and ghosts of Bonfire Night, and how Noson Guto Ffowc was celebrated in Wales
October 2020 Halloween Specials:
• EP22 Halloween Special – Ghosts of Wales Live!: Ghost hunting in Wales’ “most haunted” places at the Paranormal Wales book launch
• EP21 Spooky Halloween Folklore and Traditions of Wales: How to celebrate Nos Calan Gaeaf, the Welsh Halloween
• EP20 Halloween in Wales: The secret history and strange traditions of Nos Calan Gaeaf, the Welsh All Hallows’ Eve
• EP19 The Jack-O’-Lantern of Wales: A Halloween special exploring the “dreaded ghost” which haunted the dark Welsh forests on Nos Calan Gaeaf
• EP18 The History of Halloween: From ancient Celtic festival to American holiday and the origin of the Welsh Nos Calan Gaeaf
• EP17 The Devil’s Bridge: The famous folk tale of how a wise old Welsh woman beat Satan at his own game
• EP16 The Ghost Train from the Future: The real-life story of a paranormal locomotive which terrified a Welsh farmer
• EP15: The Dark History of Beer: How a Welsh witch invented mead and the Gothic folklore surrounding drinking at funerals
• EP14: The Realm of Faerie: The secret origin of the fairy folk of Wales, and old Welsh beliefs in fairies and folklore
• EP13: The Wraith of a Murderer Stalks Abroad: A real-life ghost story from Victorian Swansea in which a murderer – it is claimed – returns to haunt his former neighbours
• EP12: The Phantom Carriage and other real-life ghost stories from Wales: A special bonus episode for Haunted Happening featuring three short ghost stories from the archives
• EP11: The art of storytelling with Owen Staton; or, the eerie Welsh folk tale of Rhys and Meinir and other ghost stories from Mr Owen Staton
• EP10: I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Haunted Wales!; or, Creepy Welsh Castles: Gwrych Castle: TV show “I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!” will be filmed in a haunted Welsh castle in 2020. But what ghosts can they expect to find lurking inside?
• EP09: Fairy dogs, dog folklore and the origin of the Welsh Corgi: Did you know that fairies used to ride corgis into battle, and that the name corgi is derived from Welsh folklore?
• EP08: The Ghosts of Dylan Thomas: Did the Welsh poet go gently into that good night, or does he rage, rage, against the dying of the light?
• EP07: The Dog of Darkness; or, Gwyllgi, the Welsh Hound of Hell: The “hound of hell” which has haunted Welsh roads and lanes of centuries
• EP06: The Real-life Ghost-hunting Scooby-Doo Dog and the paranormal hoaxers: The dastardly villains who impersonated ghosts in the Victorian era, and the clever people – and pets – who busted them
• EP05: The Legend of Gelert, the Heroic Hound of Beddgelert: Did a dog named Gelert really fight with a gigantic wolf for the life of the prince’s son and heir?
• EP04: The Women in White haunting either side of the Severn Bridge: Ghosts that swear at people and dress up in the clothing of the clergy
• EP03: A Ghost to Rival Hamlet’s Father; or, how a spook helped the police discover a buried skull in Swansea
• EP02: The Curse of the Swansea Devil; or, how a satanic work of art burnt down a church
• EP01: The Two-Headed Phantom of Wales; or, the grisly tale of the ghost with an extra head
We want your feedback!
This podcast is very much a work in progress, and we would love to know what you think.
The idea is to strike a balance between episodes about ghosts and episodes about folklore (hence the title!), along with the odd myth, legend and fairy tale. But is there anything in particular you’d like to hear more about?
If you have a suggestion for a topic, or just a comment or observation to make, get in touch!
Do you want Mark to appear on your podcast?
To check Mark’s availability, please get in touch via the contact page.