Ghosts & Folklore of Wales podcast with Mark Rees
Join Mark Rees (author of Ghosts of Wales/ Paranormal Wales etc.) for a journey through the weird and wonderful history of Wales on the Ghosts & Folklore of Wales podcast.
Mark has published several books and written countless articles – not to mention the many a sleepless night in “mots haunted” locations! – about his homeland’s paranormal past and present, and each episode offers his unique insight and research into a different curious subject.
These range from long-lost real-life ghost stories such as the discovery of a “smelly” ghost in a truly historic pub which overlooks a buried city, to the fantastical myths and legends of dragons fighting tooth and claw in the dark night sky in the medieval prose tales of the Mabinogion.
Ghosts and Folklore of Wales with Mark Rees podcast episode list:
Looking for a certain episode, or for more details on a topic discussed?
Each episode has its own page where you can read more and listen to the podcast by following the links:
October 2020 Halloween Specials:
- EP21 Spooky Halloween Folklore and Traditions of Wales: How to celebrate Nos Calan Gaeaf, the Welsh Halloween
- EP20 Halloween in Wales: The secret history and strange traditions of Nos Calan Gaeaf, the Welsh All Hallows’ Eve
- EP19 The Jack-O’-Lantern of Wales: A Halloween special exploring the most horrible history of a “dreaded ghost” which haunted the dark Welsh forests on Nos Calan Gaeaf
- EP18 The History of Halloween: From ancient Celtic festival to American holiday and the origin of the Welsh Nos Calan Gaeaf
- EP17 The Devil’s Bridge: The famous folk tale of how a wise old Welsh woman beat Satan at his own game
- EP16 The Ghost Train from the Future: the real-life story of a paranormal locomotive which terrified a Welsh farmer
- EP15: The Dark History of Beer: How a Welsh witch invented mead and the Gothic folklore surrounding drinking at funerals
- EP14: The Realm of Faerie: The secret origin of the fairy folk of Wales, and old Welsh beliefs in fairies and folklore
- EP13: The Wraith of a Murderer Stalks Abroad: a real-life ghost story from haunted Wales
- EP12: The Phantom Carriage and other real-life ghost stories from Wales: A special bonus episode for Haunted Happening
- EP11: The art of storytelling with Owen Staton; or, the eerie Welsh folk tale of Rhys and Meinir and other ghost stories
- EP10: I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Haunted Wales!; or, Creepy Welsh Castles: Gwrych Castle
- EP09: Fairy dogs, dog folklore and the origin of the Welsh Corgi
- EP08: The Ghost of Dylan Thomas, and his many haunts in Wales, England and America
- EP07: The Dog of Darkness; or, Gwyllgi, the Welsh Hound of Hell
- EP06: The Real-life Ghost-hunting Scooby-Doo Dog and the paranormal hoaxers
- EP05: The Legend of Gelert, the Heroic Hound of Beddgelert
- EP04: The Women in White haunting either side of the Severn Bridge
- EP03: A Ghost to Rival Hamlet’s Father; or, how a spook helped the police discover a buried skull in Swansea
- EP02: The Curse of the Swansea Devil; or, how a satanic work of art burnt down a church
- EP01: The Two-Headed Phantom of Wales; or, the grisly tale of the ghost with an extra head
Upcoming topics on the Ghosts and Folklore of Wales podcast include:
- Christmas traditions like the skull-headed festive favourite the Mari Lwyd – or the Welsh “ghost horse”, as it has become known on social media – and the magical Christmas Tree of Wales which is hidden somewhere in Carmarthenshire.
- The traditions and folklore surrounding Nos Calan Gaeaf, the Welsh Halloween and the spookiest “spirit night” of the year. It was a time when strange creatures were abroad, such as the Welsh Jack y Lantern, a “dreaded ghost” which lured travellers to their doom, and the Hwch Ddu Gwta, a supernatural sow (yes, a ghostly pig!) which chased merrymakers back home to bed.
- Unusual funeral and wedding customs, from the macabre Sin Eater to eerie corpse candles. You’ll never look at these social gatherings in the same light again! Especially when you discover the role beer plays in saying our last goodbyes…
- How the magic of witches and wizards continue to cast a spell over the land today, while the wisdom of the ancient Druids can still connect us with the natural world around us. Did you know that their sacred plants could heal many an affliction, and that the mistletoe was about much more than stealing a kiss at Christmas?
How to listen and subscribe to the Ghosts and Folklore of Wales podcast:
You can listen using the player below, or subscribe on your favourite player on Apple Podcasts/ Spotify/ YouTube etc. by following the links below:
We want your feedback!
This podcast is very much a work in progress, and we would love to know what you think.
The idea is to strike a balance between episodes about ghosts and episodes about folklore (hence the title!), along with the odd myth, legend and fairy tale. But is there anything in particular you’d like to hear more about?
If you have a suggestion for a topic, or just a comment or observation to make, get in touch!
Do you want Mark to appear on YOUR podcast?
To check Mark’s availability, please get in touch via the contact page.